Total Pageviews

Friday, April 20, 2012

Boring Is Good

So I've been avoiding my blog for weeks now. That's partly because I couldn't figure out how to get back in. See, I know enough to do harm with this blog, that's about it. So sometimes I find I can't remember the password or why isn't this working and then I kick it and run around it, threatening it with a hammer and it lets me in.

So here I am, blogging about what I thought was going to be the most exciting time of my life. Rob's in Afghanistan and I'm here with four children, alone....in the same house with them....and this alone just opens the door to novels of information and situations I thought would be forthcoming. But you know what? It's life and it's moving forward as usual! I thought for sure by now the water heater would have vomited all over my laundry room floor in putrid water wherein no plumber within a 10 mile radius would want to come near my house. But that didn't happen. I thought maybe the air conditioner would conk out and I'd be sitting in the basement in nothing but a speedo, trying to calm small sweaty children from tearing each other apart in this heat. That sounds all Lord of the Flies but it's only Spring...it isn't that hot even if the A/C did go out.

But I am certainly GLAD that these things haven't happened. Mark my words though, once the universe logs into my blog today and sees that I'm sort of giving it the raspberries it will unleash the hounds of fury and my house won't know what to do with itself.

So with that, I list a few things that have happened as of late. Evan was struggling with school. That part was not good. That was almost as bad as a water heater vomiting on my laundry room floor. I think Rob's leaving had a big impact on him. And he's been feeling more strain of having to be the "MAN" of the house. He handles it well. He does what's expected. But I sat down and had a talk with him. I wanted to get into the core of his feelings and see if this was too much for him. He assures me it is not. I still wonder. But he is improving. We met with all his teachers. He said he enjoyed talking with them like they thought he was a person, not a dust bunny in the classroom. Note--the teachers never treated him like a dust bunny. Evan just seems unsure about dealing with his teachers. I think he feels sheepish about talking to them. So this whole exercise was a good learning lesson. He is on the road to improving already. Crossing my fingers and saying my prayers.

Aedyn got his Arrow of Light last night at Pack Meeting--Scouts in case you have lived under a rock until reading this blog this morning. Most of my readers have lived under a rock at some point in their lives---wink. We are proud of Aedyn for this accomplishment.

Laura is self assured. I overheard her conversation with her brothers last week. It went something like this. "I'm popular". Brothers: "Really, how do you know?". Laura: "Well, the girls at school say I have great clothes. And they say I have great hair. And they say there are boys who have a crush on me. And...well....I am attractive". Oh did I snicker. You know though, I'm so glad she has such a good self esteem. I think sometimes we parents worry that our children aren't allowed to feel this way about themselves. I think the first thought is that it leads to that snotty girl syndrome that sometimes happens. But Laura seems pretty grounded and if she wasn't, she has three boys in her life to keep her that way. She's a diva of sorts but still a sweet human being and I love having a girl in my life. I love my boys, don't get me wrong. But Laura is a marathon shopper, like me. I have trained my little grasshopper well. It's fun.

Grant is his usual sweet giggly self. He got his report card and it's awesome. (Note, all of my elementary school children got awesome report cards. Evan--not the greatest but it will get better I know). Grant was at scouts last night trying to answer a worksheet they gave out and he wanted me to tell him the answers. He didn't know them. I said GUESS. He said "I can't stand to get something wrong". I call him my little Howard Hughes. I know, WHA? Just Google the name. You'll get the gist. He is anal retentive about things. He doesn't wash his hands til they bleed though..just wanted to clarify that.

So life is moving forward. I am trying to be more patient. That's my downfall. But my kids are great. Life is great. Rob is great. He's learning some new skills. I just sent him a discounted Easter box. I'm so belated that way. I felt immense guilt at not sending him some treat for Easter. Meanwhile women all around me are lavishing sweets and treats on their husbands....WHO LIVE IN THE SAME HOUSE AS THEY DO. And here's my husband stuck in the middle of a desert with sand in his teeth and nether regions. And what do I give him in return? CUE the crickets chirping. I caved a few days after Easter and bought up all the reject candy. Not really though. M&Ms and snickers Easter Bunny. That's pretty good right! RIGHT! I'm just trying to make myself feel better. I sent it along and he has been snacking on M&Ms and now I feel justified. The Stepford wife in me has made her appearance and been successful. I can go back to the female version of Steven Wright. Google his name already!

No comments: